Lake of the Woods District Hospital
COLONOSCOPYPICO-SALAX BOWEL PREP
1. Obtain Pico-Salax from any pharmacy. DO NOT follow the package instructions.
2. STOP solid food one (1) day before your colonoscopy, unless otherwise instructed by the surgeon. It is important that you take NO solid food throughout the day.
3. That whole day, stay on clear fluids. Clear fluids are defined as anything that you can see through, for example; tea, broth, Jell-O (NO green/red Jell-O), apple juice, Ginger ale. No sugar-free liquids.
It is important to flush the bowel, so drink something every hour at least. The greater the amount of fluids taken in, the better the bowel prep.
4. At 10:00 a.m. the day before your colonoscopy, mix one (1) sachet of Pico-Salax with 150 ml of cold water and stir for 2 – 3 minutes. Drink all of the contents. Continue the clear fluids after finishing drinking the Pico-Salax.
5. Take another Pico-Salax sachet at 6:00 p.m. the same way as you took the first.
6. You may continue to drink clear fluids up to four (4) to six (6) hours prior to your scheduled arrival.
It is imperative that you take all of the Pico-Silax and that you take lots of clear fluids throughout the day before your colonoscopy. Failure to do either of these may lead to cancellation of your procedure.