Information Regarding Procedure:
The accuracy of the x-ray study of the colon by the CT colonography depends to a large degree on the care that is taken in preparing the colon for examination. The colon can be made free from fecal content by a combination of 4 procedures:
1. Selected low residue diet for several days
2. By hydration and lavation from drinking large amounts of fluid
3. By cathartics
4. By cleansing enemas.
In an effort to improve the quality of the CT colonography examinations and also to reduce the number of patients who must be prepared, the following colon cleansing protocol is recommended:
1. Before the colon examination a minimal residue for 3 days is preferable (if not possible, start as soon as the colon study is scheduled). The following foods are permitted:
• Strained fruit juices such as orange, apple, grapefruit, grape
• Cereal such as cream of wheat, farina or rice krispies
• Eggs any style
• Dry cottage cheese not creamed
• Meat such as canned baby meats, baked skinless fish, finely chopped canned tuna
• Macaroni, spaghetti, noodles or rice in clear broth or buttered if desired
• 1 to 2 Tbsp of oil, butter or margarine may be used daily if desired
• Sweets such as plain gelatin (Jello) desserts without added fruit or vegetables, moderate amount of sugar or strained honey, marshmallows, arrowroot or vanilla wafers or sugar wafers
• Moderate amount of seasonings
• Beverages such as clear broth or bouillon, tea, weak coffee or Sanka, carbonated beverages (cola drinks, 7-UP), Gatorade, Kool-aid or other synthetic drink mixes.
NOTE: NO BREAD, FRUIT, VEGETABLES OR MILK
2. The day before the examination drink fluids; at least one large 8 oz glass of water each hour from 11:00 am to 8:00 or 10:00 pm. For ALL meals a clear liquid diet starting with breakfast. The following foods are permitted:
• Synthetic juices, Kool-aid, Gatorade, carbonated beverages, weak coffee or Sanka, tea with sugar
• Clear broth
• Gelatin desserts (Jello without added fruits or vegetables)
• Modern amount of sugar
• Hard candies – lemon drop style.
3. The laxative (Picolax) provided is to be taken as follows:
• Adults: The contents of one sachet is dissolved in a cup of cold water, stir for 2 to 3 minutes. If it becomes hot, wait for it to cool. The first dose (1 sachet) is taken at 8:00 am on day before the exam, the 2nd sachet is taken between 2 – 4 pm on the day before exam.
*NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT*
4. On the morning of the test, insert 1 Dulcolax suppository into the rectum 1 hour prior to leaving home for the hospital.